The UK Youth Mobility Scheme visa, also known as Tier 5, is an excellent opportunity for young adults who dream of living and working in the UK.
This visa is designed to allow eligible applicants aged 18-30 to experience life in the UK for up to two years.
This visa offers vast opportunities, from building a career to experiencing British culture.
Whether your goal is to work in the bustling city of London or to explore the historic landscapes, this visa will open doors to these enriching experiences.
Eligibility Criteria for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa
Eligibility for the Tier 5 visa is primarily based on Nationality, age, and financial resources. The first step in your journey is to ensure you meet these criteria:
- Currently, the UK allows citizens from specific countries or territories to apply.
- Applicants must be aged between 18 and 30 (or 18 to 35 if you’re from New Zealand).
- You must have at least £2,530 in savings.
Meeting these criteria is your first checkpoint in the application journey. Remember, each criterion is equally important; failing to complete just one can result in an unsuccessful application.
UK Youth Mobility Scheme Visa Eligible Countries
According to the official UK government website, you can apply for the visa if you have certain types of British Nationality or are from one of the following countries or territories:
- Hong Kong, if you have a SAR passport
- New Zealand
- Republic of Korea
- San Marino
Just like any visa application, it requires various documents to process your application. These typically include:
- Current Passport: Your passport must be valid for the entire duration of your stay.
- Proof of Funds: Bank statements or a letter from your bank can be used as proof.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Test Results: If you’re from a country where you must take the test.
- Other documents may be required depending on your country of residence.
Ensure all your documents are accurate, up-to-date, and in the correct format. Providing incorrect or outdated information can lead to visa refusal.
The Application Process
Applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme visa involves several steps:
- Gather all required documents outlined above.
- The application must be filled out online. Double-check all the details before submitting.
- After completing the online application, book an appointment at a visa application centre to submit biometric information.
- Bring all your documents and attend your appointment.
- A decision usually takes three weeks of your application.
It’s important to follow each step carefully. Any errors or omissions could lead to your application being rejected.
Cost of Applying for the Tier 5 Visa
As of now, the visa application fee is £259. Remember, this cost does not include the healthcare surcharge or any additional services you opt for during the application process.
The healthcare surcharge is usually £470 per year – you can check how much you’ll have to pay on the Gov.uk
Processing Time for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa
Generally, you should get a decision on your visa within three weeks once you have attended your appointment at the visa application centre. However, processing times can vary, and it might take longer in some cases, so applying well ahead of your planned departure date is advisable.
Potential Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
While the process is straightforward, applicants may encounter hurdles along the way. These include:
- Not Meeting the Financial Requirement: This is a common reason for refusal. Ensure you can provide proof of the required funds.
- Incorrect or Incomplete Application: Any inaccuracies or omissions can lead to refusal. Double-check your application before submission.
Once your Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa is approved, you can enter the UK up to 30 days from the date on your visa sticker. Remember to collect a Biometric Residence Permit within ten days of your arrival.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can I stay in the UK with the Youth Mobility Scheme visa?
You can stay in the UK for up to 2 years on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa.
Can I extend my Tier 5 visa?
You cannot extend this visa. After two years, you must leave the UK or apply for a different visa.
However there are exceptions like;
- If you’re from New Zealand, you’ll be able to extend your visa by one year after the 2-year period ends.
- If you turn 31 after your visa is issued, you can stay in the UK for as long as your visa is valid.
- If you’re from Australia, from 31 January 2024 you’ll be able to apply to extend your visa by one year.
Can I bring dependents on the Youth Mobility Scheme visa?
No, you cannot bring dependents with you on this visa. Each person must apply for their own Youth Mobility Scheme visa.
Can I study on the Youth Mobility Scheme visa?
Yes, you can study, but some restrictions apply, and you may need to obtain an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.
Can I set up a business with the Youth Mobility Scheme visa?
You can be self-employed and set up a company but cannot provide services as a professional sportsperson or a doctor in training.