If you’re an international student from Africa and are self-funding your undergraduate studies, you could be eligible for a scholarship of £4,000, paid as a discount on your first year’s tuition fee.
- These scholarships are restricted to students who are overseas fee payers and are entirely self-funded.
- Students must be ordinarily resident (see the terms and conditions below for the definition of
- ordinary residence) in an African nation (defined as a member state of the African Union).
- Students must be starting their first year of undergraduate study at Essex in 2022-23.
- Students must actively make Essex their firm choice by 15 July 2022. Applicants that become firm with Essex through rejection by their original firm choice selection elsewhere are not eligible.
- Only one scholarship award can be made per student and the award cannot be held in conjunction with any other University of Essex scholarships.
- This scholarship is available for the first year of study only
Students receiving a repayable loan to fund their studies will be considered self-funded.
excluding Mauritius, for which we have a separate award.
University of Essex International College students are exempt from this deadline.
Students who aren’t eligible
The following students are NOT eligible for this scholarship regardless of meeting the above criteria:
- Students undertaking courses at East 15 Acting School.
- Students undertaking a degree that is normally delivered wholly online
- This scholarship award does not apply to the deferred entry. Where a scholarship has been awarded to a student who subsequently defers entry to the following academic year, the award will be withdrawn and the applicant will be considered again in line with the terms and conditions that apply in the new proposed year of entry.
- Students transferring into the second year from another UK higher education institution.
- Students directly continue from one course to another (for example from a foundation degree or HND on to the final year of an honors degree).
- Students who are fully or partly sponsored.
- Students who are classified as a Home fee-paying student
How to apply
If you meet all the eligibility criteria you will automatically be considered for this award. You don’t need to complete an application form. The University will assess your eligibility based on your country of domicile and the fee status that you submit on your application for your place at Essex. No alternative supporting evidence will be accepted.