The University of Bradford provides these scholarships to enable new students seeking asylum, or those already granted refugee status who cannot access student finance, to participate in higher education.
You must be:
- An asylum seeker or the partner/dependant of an asylum seeker; OR
- An asylum seeker/refugee/partner/dependant who has been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR) or some other form of temporary status; OR
- A refugee who is unable to access student finance due to the previous study;
Please ensure that:
- You have a conditional or unconditional offer from the University of Bradford for the September 2021 start – for the undergraduate study you need to apply for a Bradford course via UCAS.
- Postgraduate students will need to apply for a place on a course via the University of Bradford website.
- You can provide a supporting statement from a school, college, community, or voluntary group
- You are unable to access mainstream funding, e.g. student finance
- You live within the Bradford Metropolitan District Council Area, or live within a commutable distance to the University and be able to cover your travel costs yourself or be able to relocate to Bradford without requiring extra financial support.
You do not require support for living expenses or accommodation
Eligible applicants are also able to get a scholarship/scholarship funding to attend a Pre-sessional English preparation course if their English language level is not high enough to meet the entry requirements of the University/your course. All students will be assessed on an individual basis. Further details of the program can be found here: Pre-sessional English Language Programme.
Applicants must meet these strict eligibility criteria and be in a position to verify their circumstances in order to apply. Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be considered for the scholarship.
What else do I need to know?
- This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful.
- Following an initial assessment, the University will contact you to let you know whether or not your application will progress to the next stage of the selection process.
- If your application is taken forward, you will be invited to an interview to discuss the information you have provided in your application.
- If you are successful in being offered a University of Bradford Sanctuary Scholarship you will be informed within two weeks of your interview
Former NHS-funded courses such as Nursing, Midwifery, Physiotherapy, and Radiography will be included in the scholarship this year.
Premium fee courses in the Faculty of Management and Law e.g. the MBA are not covered by this award.
Students from all countries, who meet the criteria, are eligible.
Payment amount & frequency
- Successful applicants for the Scholarship Award at the University of Bradford will be provided with:
- Tuition Fee Grant: Successful students will be offered a tuition fee-remitted (i.e. no fees) place at university until such time as they are awarded status that entitles them to access student finance (if at all)
- A Travel and Course Costs Grant: Successful students will be offered a £4,000 a year (per year if applicable) grant to help with travel and course costs.
- Personal Support: In addition to fee remission, support will be available for students to enable them to identify and overcome barriers to achievement in their degree programme and for their future careers.
How to apply
Details of the application process for 22/23 applicants will be posted around April 2022.
Find out more
For further information or any queries you can:
Tel: 01274 236637