The Government of Quebec selects business people, entrepreneurs and wealthy individuals wishing to become permanent residents of Canada and settle in the province.
Following acceptance of their application, the successful applicants will receive a Québec Selection Certificate (CSQ) and may apply for permanent residence to the federal government.
Applicants may be eligible to apply in one of three categories of business immigration:
Quebec investor immigration program
The Quebec government continues to promote the Quebec Immigration Investor Program. The three main conditions to be eligible for the program, updated in March 2018, are:
- Demonstrate a personal net worth of at least $ 2 million legally acquired by doing business or holding a senior management position in a private company, government, or NGO.
- Having owned and operated a business for two years in the previous five years, OR
- Having held a high-level managerial position for two years in the previous five years in a private, government, or NGO company.
- Invest $ 1.2 million in a passive investment guaranteed by the government for five years and receive no interest. Applicants can finance their investment.
Quebec immigrant entrepreneur program
The Quebec Entrepreneurs Program aims to recruit people with the skills and experience necessary to carry on a business in the province. The program was redesigned in 2018 and now operates under two components:
- The first component consists of creating a business in Quebec with the support of a business accelerator, a business incubator, or a university entrepreneurship center.
- The second part consists of creating or buying an existing business, the entrepreneur of which must control at least 25% if it is a new business or at least 51% of an acquired business.
In the second part, the entrepreneur candidate must invest seed money of $ 200,000 for a business outside the metropolitan area of Montreal, or $ 300,000 for a business located in the metropolitan area of Montreal. A minimum security deposit of $ 200,000 is also required as insurance and may be returned upon completion of the business project.
The candidate must prove that he has legally acquired a net worth of CAD 900,000, alone with his spouse if applicable.
Quebec immigrant self-employed program
To be eligible for the Quebec Self-Employed Program, applicants must meet the following conditions that differentiate them from the Quebec Skilled Worker Program:
- have two years of self-employed experience in the profession or trade they intend to practice in Quebec;
- have a personal net worth of $100,000, alone or with an accompanying spouse or common-law partner;
- register a start-up deposit of at least $ 50,000 if the independent candidate is based in the Montreal metropolitan area, and of $ 25,000 if the candidate is located outside Montreal.
All candidates in companies are also assessed according to various selection factors and must obtain a minimum number of points based on their training, work experience, age, language proficiency, business plan. and/or their investment, their links with Quebec, etc.
Applicants must also demonstrate their intention to reside in Quebec.
Annual admission periods and numerical quotas are imposed by the immigration authorities. In the case of investors, territorial quotas are also applicable.
However, candidates who demonstrate that they have intermediate-advanced knowledge of the French language (by presenting the results of French level B2 tests in oral expression and listening) can apply at any time and are not subject to any ceiling.
Foreign investor-entrepreneurs wishing to move to Canada should consider acquiring a business established in Canada and applying for a work visa as a management employee. The revised federal policies governing new business owners under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program are receiving considerable attention.