Canada is setting up a new fast-track immigration programme for temporary residents - Tution 360


Canada is setting up a new fast-track immigration programme for temporary residents

Canada is developing a new immigration policy that will hasten the conversion of current temporary foreign workers and international students to permanent residents. Immigration Minister Sean Fraser talked about the establishment of this new fast-track immigration programme in an interview with CBC this past weekend.

The plan for the programme is still being developed. Other than what Minister Fraser mentioned in his interview, no additional information has been made public. He confirmed that the programme will target individuals who are already in Canada, such as temporary foreign workers and international students, and will be a “permanent pathway for temporary residents.”

The proposed new programme is similar to the 2021-introduced Temporary Residence to Permanent Residence Pathway (TR2PR). In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, a one-time immigration programme called the TR2PR was established. The programme made it simple and quick for international graduates and temporary workers to apply for status as permanent residents.

Through the acceptance of 90,000 applications over the course of six months, the TR2PR programme helped Canada achieve its annual immigration targets by converting temporary residents to permanent status.

By adding tens of thousands of additional applications to the backlog of processing, the TR2PR programme also contributed to Canada’s unusually long processing times for immigration applicants. Minister Fraser clarified that the department’s objective is to “have a policy that’s not driven by a need to respond urgently in the face of an emergency, but actually to have a permanent pathway that provides a clear path for those seeking permanent residency who can enter Canada” as opposed to the TR2PR pathway used during the pandemic.

How soon will we learn more?

Minister Fraser stated that the department is under pressure to present the new programme on time. More details ought to be accessible by September or October because he was given 120 days beginning last month.

Immigration applicants from within Canada are prioritised

Another recent Canadian immigration programme and policy that gives priority to applicants who are already residents of Canada as temporary workers and students is this one.

The largest system in Canada for managing skilled worker immigration applications, Express Entry, gives applicants with Canadian work experience a lot of points. Numerous Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) also target Canadian residents who are employed or recently graduated.

Through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) of Express Entry, Canada invited 27,000 workers with Canadian experience in February 2021. This decision was also influenced by COVID-19, but it does show that Canada has a history of giving in-Canada immigration applicants priority.

The integration of these newcomers is made much simpler by choosing permanent residents who have already worked and studied in Canada as opposed to those who apply while living abroad. A worker or student who has lived in Canada for a while will probably have gotten used to their new surroundings.

Having said that, Canada does provide comprehensive pre- and post-arrival services to aid immigrants in settling in. To support the processing of applications and the settlement of newcomers, the government will invest $2.1 billion over the following five years.

How to enter Canada as an international student or temporary worker

Consider your options for first arriving as an international student or temporary worker if you’re interested in immigrating to Canada as a permanent resident. Several popular immigration options are listed below:

International Experience Canada (IEC) Work Permits

IEC offers work permits to young people from participating nations who are between the ages of 18 and 30 or 18 and 35. See if your nation is included in the list here.

Work permits based on LMIA

A Canadian employer can obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) if they are unable to fill a vacant position with qualified candidates from within the country. An employer may employ foreign talent to fill the position if they have an LMIA.

Many Canadian employers avoid the LMIA application process because it is time-consuming and challenging. However, you can use it to apply for a work permit if you can locate an employer willing to get an LMIA. Click here to read more about LMIAs.

Agreements on free trade

Canada has free trade agreements in place with a number of nations worldwide. If your country and Canada have a free trade agreement, it’s possible that the agreement permits the issuance of work permits for specific workers in specific occupations. Popular free trade agreements include the following:

  • The Agreement between the US, Mexico, and Canada (USMCA)
  • Between Canada and 10 other countries, the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP)
  • Between Canada and the European Union, there is the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).

Intra-Company Transfers

An intra-company transfer may make you eligible to work in Canada if you are employed by a multinational corporation with offices there. Your employer may transfer you from your present location to one in Canada thanks to a unique work permit programme.